After yesterdays announcements by Steve Ballmer at Mobile World Congress, John Bruno who is a programmer on the Windows Marketplace team has put together a more in depth description of how it all works and what it can offer for users and of course developers. Beyond providing consumers with the ability to browse and download applications from their Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, this new service will offer developers, the opportunity to connect directly with those millions of Windows Mobile users, to publish and distribute applications. Sound like a win-win opportunity? Let’s take a closer look.
In the past, it has been challenging for developers to get their Windows Mobile applications into the hands of consumers. In addition to fragmentation in the distribution channels, there has been no definitive marketplace experience on the device for users to browse and acquire applications and/or content. This has prevented developers from achieving broad reach with their application offering, and inhibited the user’s ability to leverage the power of their Windows phone. Fortunately, Windows Marketplace for Mobile addresses these challenges while also including a number of key benefits for developers. Examples of some of these key benefits include:
- An easily discovered on-device application that is installed on every Windows Mobile 6.5 device, and includes prominent placement on the Start menu.
- Global marketplace distribution (30 countries) with flexible payment options for end users through both credit card and mobile operator payment methods.
- Single source developer-focused web site for sign-up, publishing, and management of applications in the marketplace.
- Transparent set of policies that clearly articulate the types of applications allowed in the store.
- Streamlined, yet flexible workflow for getting applications published to the marketplace.
- Leverage existing Microsoft developer tools, such as Visual Studio, for faster time to market.
As you can see, the opportunity for developers is quite clear. Windows Marketplace can help you grow your business profitably by connecting you directly with millions of Windows Mobile users that are looking for your applications. Whether you are a hobbyist developer or a large ISV, we’ll make it easy for you to bring your applications to market and manage them effectively throughout their life cycle.
Please stay tuned to this blog, or our web site as we release additional information about the Windows Marketplace developer program over the coming weeks. In the meantime, please feel free to send us your questions or feedback. We look forward to hearing from you!
We will be communicating additional details at several upcoming events, so be sure to attend one of these to learn more!
- Mix09 – Las Vegas, NV
- DevConnections – Orlando, FL
- Web 2.0 – San Francisco, CA
- TechEd 2009 – Los Angeles, CA